Re: All floppy installation

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:54:38PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Seneca wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:16:30PM -0400, alex wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone still install Debian using nothing but floppies?
> >

> > Guess how I do all my base installations (hint: all but 1 machine cannot
> > access network (no nics), I cannot get the CD drives recognised (much
> > less bootable, my systems are all ~7-15 years old), and I don't have
> > good serial or parallel cables (or the resources to get replacements for
> > them))
> >

> Impressive, yet painful.
>
> I do which that the Debian docs would do a better job with the
> instructions for a network floppy installation.  I have a number of
> machines that have more network than they do CD-R and it would have
> been better to use three floppies than to open the case, wire in a
> CD-R for a hour while I install the Debian Base, then put it back
> together for the updates and running it.

IIRC, you can install the base system from a local partition.  You could
always boot up with tomsrtbt or similar, partition the local drive, FTP
the base system image to a local partition somewhere, and then go the
three floppy route.  I've never tried this, but can't see why it
wouldn't work...

- Chris