Re: Installing from ISO

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:12:18AM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 08:42:40PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > If you use IDEPCI floppies with normal DESKTOP PC and NIC, you need only
> > 2 floppies for Debian.  Why download packages in iso which you may not
> > use?  Debian is very lean.  It ain't RH.
>
> In my reply to the original poster, I suggested the download of
> basedep.tar. I thought that this was always needed initially. That
> is not true. Depending on your setup (especially the way you connect
> to the internet) you can download even the base-system, once booted
> from a floppy.

Yes.  This trick is for expert who play with SPARC.

> However if you run in to trouble, it's nice to have at least the
> base system ready. It is easier to troubleshoot with a normal,
> albeit small system, than with the system that comes on the ramdisk.

Sure.  For normal people on cheap i386, netinst CD image shall be one, I
think.

> I am experiencing this right now with the installation of a
> Sparcstation. Can't get NFS to work. I know it's propably on the
> server side, but checking the client side of things is a bitch
> without the normal/regular tools.

Yes. base system is more useful in this sense than just with busybox.  I
used to have deb files of mc and mc-common to browse system in this
situation :)  Recently, IDEPCI has been good to me.
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.