Software installation question

I finally got Debian with X running on an old Compaq box. I got a copy of StarOffice (5.2) as a downloaded file and installed it by running the very large file named:
"so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin..bin"
I was thrilled that I got my first piece of software installed, and it all work when I was logged-on as root, (the logon I used to install). My best efforts couldn't get it to run as a user because StarOffice couldn't find files and "register" files when trying to repair itself when starting up as a user.

I believe my problem was that I did not use apt or deselect to install this file. Is this a good guess?? I have completely uninstalled StarOffice in anticipation of doing this correctly. Can I issue an
"apt   install     /path/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin..bin".

I was under the impression Debian packages have a .deb file name extension.
BTW: I have not as yet got PPP to work so this ,machine. Being a dual boot machine, I have all the download files a windows directory that I have mounted and can access.