Re: moving windows - again

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:24:00PM +0100, Karsten Bolding wrote:
> I actually thought it was a pretty well formulated question - even
> though Martin Krafft firstly, did not like it on this list and secondly,
> did not like the formulation  - at least it was very short.
>
> However the reason being, I moved wife and kids from Windows 98 to Linux a
> few weeks ago and they are all happy about it - so I just wanted to shrink
> the Windows partition from 13GB before to 2-3GB - to keep  a few essentials -
> Lego Studios - in this case. And since I did not want to image the
> partion but move it I thought tar was more appropriate than dd.

Ah, well that's a properly formulated desire, now we can really help:)

First, I'm no Windows expert, hardly ever use it, mainly to install
games for my kids, but here is how I would do it:

1) backup the whole windows partition just to be sure

2) run Windows defrag tool on that partition

3) use the free GNU parted utility to shrink that partition

4) pray step 3 didn't ruin your Windows install

An alternate approach, I often used, is to tar the Lego Studios
directories, repartition that Windows partition, reinstall Windows,
reinstall Lego Studios and finally untar your tarred Lego Studios over
the freshly installed one.  This often seems to work for games and
alikes, *not* for the Windows install itself.

--
groetjes, carel