Re: Must I have an `alias char-major-14 off' line?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 02:28:05AM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
| > On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 01:21:09PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
| >
| > | Yet I wonder why do I get these lines in the first place? In
| > | particular, I have the following in /etc/modules.conf:
| > |
| > | # alias char-major-14             sb
| > | # options adlib_card io=0x388                                  # FM
| > | synthesizer
| > | # options sb         io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
| > | # options sbpcd      0x230,SoundBlaster
| >
| > These are not "lines", they are comments.  They have no effect
| > whatsoever.  Remove the leading '#' character if you want them to be
| > actual lines instead of comments.
|
| That is exactly the thing I do not understand. Since those lines are
| only comments, why does modprobe tries to locate module
| char-major-14 in the first place? (I do not want any sound.)

First you have to see what char-major-14 is, then determine what
process is trying to access that service from the kernel.  The purpose
of the alias lines is to tell the kernel which module provides that
service on your system.

-D

--

Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!