Shutdown via power button

I've set up a debian linux server which the user wants to be able to
shut down every day.  It's set up without a keyboard or monitor, any
administration is done by telnet.  I'd like them to be able to shut it
down cleanly by hitting the power button.  The attached message I found
in the archive explains how to do it, and works fine, with the caveat
mentioned in the message.  The system will sometimes suspend before
shutting down, and the user has to push the power button again to wake
it up so it can shut down (if you follow).  Does anyone have a solution
to this?  Either a way to delay or cancel the suspend, or significantly
speed up the shutdown.  Thanks!

--
Randy Orrison
Keswick Computer Services