Re: ASUS P4B533 Motherboard

Received Wed 13 Nov 2002  3:53am +1100 from Mike Dresser:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Graham Williams wrote:

> > I'm at this moment in the throws of installing Debain 3.0 on an ASUS
> > P4B533-VM based machine.

> I've got ... 4 of these boards in Debian machines here, with one that is
> the P4B533-E.
>
> 2.4.19 doesn't support the onboard ethernet because of a new PCI ID by
> Intel.  2.4.20 has the added PCI ID added, and as well supports the onboard RAID
> just fine(at least as a regular controller)  So you could hunt a 2.4.20
> kernel, or use 2.4.20 from kernel sources.

Thanks for the information.  I grabbed source for kernel 2.4.19,
patched it to 2.4.20-pre11, compiled it and installed the resulting
Debian package and everything is working wonderfully, except XFree
4.2.1 which doesn't support the video card (using the vesa driver
works, just). Fixed in Xfree86 4.3 according to the
documentation. Some information: The audio is i810_audio, video will
be i810, and NIC is eepro100. I now have 8 IDE hard drive slots on 2
extra IDE CMD680 cards in addition to the hard drive on the onboard
IDE chip!

Regards,
Graham