Re: address book for mutt

-- Jonathan Matthews <jaycee.stuff.your.spam@jaycee.uklinux.net> wrote
(on Friday, 08 November 2002, 01:40 PM +0000):
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 05:34:47PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:52:11PM +1100, Sam Varghese wrote:
> > > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:51:28PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh spake thus:

> > > If it's Outlook 97, you can use the script available here:
> > > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/lookout/
> >
> > sad - it is outlook 2000. but as i said, i already have the data in csv format - fairly
> > universal?
> >
> > and how do i integrate it with mutt?
>
> Look at abook for a simple addressbook written for mutt.  Its manpage
> says that it can use the --convert option to import different formats,
> including csv files.
>
> It's not graphical, flash, fancy, and doesn't use the mouse, but it
> works - sort of like mutt, in that respect :-)
>
> Also, take a look at the lbdb package - it might be of interest to you.
> I don't use it personally (yet), but have heard good things about it
> from others on this list.
I have my addresses on a Palm, and use jpilot to sync to my debian box.
I use lbdb to grab that database, and thus I can use it with mutt.

lbdb has quite a number of backends, and can be used very easily with
mutt. If you find an address book program you like, chances are you'll
be able to get at the data with lbdb.

If you go with abook, mutt can directly query it with patches that are
included in the debian package -- in that case, you wouldn't need lbdb.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net