Re: Can't get rid of this file--Why???

"W. Paul Mills" wrote:

> jfoster@augustmail.com (John Foster) writes:
>
> > I have a file /usr/lib/gnews after purging gnews from my system. The
> > strange thing is that I can't even remove it as root. It has a string of
> > numbers for the owner and group and properties of pr--r--r--  0444  Does
> > anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it. It is stopping me
> > from installing or removing anything connected to gnews. Also it is
> > 512Mbs in size. I tried to view it and I get permission denied...even as
> > root. Thanks!
>
> Looks like a job for "debugfs".  The "p" looks like a pipe, but
> since it has size it cannot be a pipe.
>
> Paul
Well Thanks All. I did as suggested  and ran e2fsck and it did seem to
clean up the disk. and the wierd file has disappeared. I am still
concerned about the posibility of a hacker but have detected no evidence
of that. My skills there are very limited as it never happened before
(that I know of :-)). This is the second time in 2 weeks that my disk
(Woody) has behaved strangely. Any ideas besides hardening up my
connection??

--
John Foster