Re: Aptitude and apt-get

Mike Kuhar, 2002-Sep-10 13:43 -0400:
> Thanks for the reply, Jeff.
>
> After reinstalling apt, aptitude and dpkg, I still had the same problem.
>
> -mk

Hmmm...the only time I see that message "could not lock the cache,
opening in read-only mode" is when I have left aptitude open on
another terminal somewhere, or running apt-get something somewhere.

Check your processes to make sure you don't have any other instances
of apt/dpkg running.

The only other thing I can think of is permissions on the
/var/cache/apt and /var/cache/apt/archives directories which should be
drwxr-xr-x for both.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer