Re: ASUS P4S333 SIS 650 SIS 7012

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 03:21, Rob Ransbottom wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2002, Crispin Wellington wrote:
>
> > the SiS 7012 Audio is a  C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738. If so you will
> > need the 'cmpci' kernel module (run modconf, go to the sound section,
>
> I have a similar board.  Sound works with the cmpci module.
>
> I would like to have a mixer.  I assume I need a sound card,
> if this is the case:  What PCI card is recommended?  Low end
> preferably -- I was happy with an ISA SB16 and us$15 speakers.
>
> If I don't need more hardware clue me in on what I'm missing.

I have an on motherboard sound system that uses the cmpci module and it
has a mixer. Try running gmix. If you don't have it, apt-get install
gnome-media. Also make sure you have

crispin@void:~$ ls -alF /dev/mixer
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Mar 15 05:51 /dev/mixer

And that you belong to group audio.