Re: Linux at work for a corporate desktop

On 31/07/02 Michael James did speaketh:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been wondering if I am really out there as a Linux user. I have
> been dragging 2 laptops around, 1 Linux, 1 Windows for a couple months.
> Has anyone made the final leap, and dropped the windows machines? I am
> talking about the standard corporate stuff ... email, etc.
>
> I was hoping to give it a go with the Evolution/Exchange connector, but
> we aren't at E2k yet.
>
> Just wondering what the feeling was.

    I don't use windows at all, and I work daily in a large corporation. I
piss off people regularly because they can't schedule meetings with me via MS
Lookout!. The real problem is not any lacking on the part of Linux or its apps
(although there is some of that). The real problem is the corporate mentality
of considering winblows and its apps as a standard. They're not.
    Someone sends me MS office, I send it back and request pdf, or I open it
in OpenOffice and sent that back to make a point. You may not be able to do
this, but most of this nonsense involves retraining the people around you to
play with others.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix