Re: Rejig apt Config Now That Woody = stable ?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:52:48 -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:13:59AM +0100, Nick wrote:

>> I've been using the "pinning" method to ensure I get updates from
>> testing unless I specify unstable, so I currently have :

[sources.list & preferences snipped]

>> Presumably, with these config settings a straight apt-get will now get
>> me packages from Sarge ..
>
>Yes.

Ah - thanks for that confirmation.

[...]
>> So, e.g. in "sources.list" :
>>   deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ woody main
>> instead of
>>   deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
>Yes.

OK ...

>At least /etc/apt/preferences must use testing/stable/unstable.
>So there may be an issue.  (I wish preference accepts codename but it
>does not.)

Oh - that's unfortunate - this seems to call for an enhancement
request bug report. I'll do that when I get time.

But actually I don't need the pinning magic for a while now - I only
want to track Woody for a while - no need for testing & unstable.

I'll just amend my sources.list lines to specify Woody, and remove my
preferences file.

Thanks for the explanation.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
" ...screams erupted at a Seattle hotel where Microsoft founder Bill Gates
was addressing an education and technology conference. (...)"