Re: X and version and lilo and book problem....

Good morning!

I will try to help you on some of your questions ...

Please see my answers below ...

Best regards,

Fabian

                      ferreira@airc.pt         To:      debian-user@lists.debian.org
                                               cc:
                      31/07/2002 10:58         Subject: X and version and lilo and book problem....

Hi there form Portugal.
Yes i am new to (+/-) to Debian.
I have lots of questions to make, but i will make only 4 for now, quite
simple probably, hope someone has the time to help.

1. I dont have this new 3.0 version and i would like to download it do my
office pc so i can make a copy and take home. The question is what do i
download and where ? to simple to anserw i belive but dont take me wrong,
please tell me exactly what to download. please...

> I would suggest you to download the CD image from one of the servers
listed at this address:
> http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
>
> Once you have downloaded the ISO image, you can burn it with any decent
burning software.

2. I have debian instaled ( not this new version ). It took me 7
instalations to get it ok, inexpirience and no help does this things. I got
many error messages that times ... well that's the past. But i still cant
get de grafical interface well ( i havent played with my unix for 3 moths
now, like: Hey i'am back)
I have a Asus V T 7100 deluxe combo, (and yes this one allows me to watch
tv ( why ? dont need the a tv set, that's why )), the maximal i got whas
640x480 at 16 cores ( not even 256, and i was not talking about the tv part
... i mean everything ). I know there are drivers avaliable at Nvidia but i
dont know were or what to use so i can get then in my pc and then what to
do next.

> Please check the NVIDIA website for drivers installation. I am not too
sure your TV function will be recognized but you can alwasy seek for more
> information on the internet.
> For NVIDIA cards, you should first configure your XF86Config file with a
default SVGA server. Once this has been done, please follow instructions
[http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux]
> The resolution/color problem you have might be because the XF86Config
file is taken these parameters as default one. Try to edit your XF86Config
> file and check the monitor parameters (be careful with XFree settings to
not damage your hardware).

3. I cant understant why i cant have a lilo working with debian win98. The
last time i lost my windows 2 times. I remember to have changed a few files
by hand ... that i had recall to see someone change too. well that didn
work too. Dont say it is easy cause for me it is not, can someone help me
to configurate this ?

> I think LILO is quite easy to use for "simple" configuration. Also, it's
quite well documented on the internet.
> Basically, you should have an entry similar to this one (some options
might change)

> boot = /dev/hda (if you install your boot loader in the MBR (which I
usually do without any problem))
> prompt
> timeout = 50          (5 seconds)
>
> image = /boot/vmlinuz
>   label = Linux
>   read-only
>   root = "your root partition (/dev/hda2 ?)"
>
> other = /dev/hda1
>   label = Windows
>

> I am writing this by heart and as I am a newbie in Linux world, I might
also miss some entries. Please check the man page of lilo.conf if you have
any
> concern. Alos, I suggets you to always perform a "lilo -t" to ensure your
lilo.conf is correctly configured. The "-t" option is verifying your
lilo.conf file.

> What I would suggest you is to create a Linux boot disk and a DOS boot
disk with fdisk.exe on it. Then install LILO on your MBR. If for some
> reason, LILO is not working and you can't access WIn98 anymore, then,
boot with your DOS floppy disk and perform a "fdisk /mbr". This will
> reinstall the default MBR that will look for the boot loader on the
active partition (generally the first primary partition). Once you can
access back
> Win98, you can > boot to your Linux system with the Linux boot floppy and
try to reinstall LILO.

4. Why debian they ask?  i say why not.
I am reding a book i got somewhere from the web in pdf ( allready got it on
paper ) from Dwarf's ( Dwarf's guide do debian GNU / LInux ). i like to
know if there are more so that ( and this is the final part of this mail )
i can understand if debian - apache - php - ( email cliente, firewall, pgp
etc ) is or not the best solution so that i can FINALLY ( drama ... )
extend my capabilities as a webmaster to something more, ( like total work
maker, means no boss ... great ah!!!! ) why ? well i never study anything
computer or language related at scholl and i never got to go to the
univercity, so all i know is what i teached myself. and i would like to be
capable of have my own hosting server ( so i cant understand how it works
).

> DeVeRas, there is obviously a lot of ressources on the web
(www.linuxdoc.org, etc.). One fo the best book I have ever read for system
administrator

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130084662/qid=1028111998/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-7845585-5619635
> Well written, clever comments ... a "must have".
>
> I didn't study computer sciences myself and I found the O'Reilly book
collection very good references to get a correct knowledge about Linux/Unix
> world.

Thank you form reading, hope to ear from you.

> Hope this helps !

DeVeRaS

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.