two /home directories?

I just finished a fresh install of Debian with / on hdb7 and a /home
partition on hda3.   mtab verifies
that /home is on hda3.

How come there's also a /home still in the directory root /?    It
doesn't appear in mtab.  This /home
directory contained the user that I created during the installation  but
I had to recreate the user for
the /home partition on hda3 because this /home partition was empty from
the start..

If mtab recognizes that  /home is on hda3,  why does the command     cd
/home   bring
up the other  /home directory, the one  under  /   instead of the one
under   hda3?
I have to access hda3 to edit or read the /home directory.