Re: gtk and mozilla slow

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 05:02:11 +0200
Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch> wrote:

> At 13:48 Uhr -0300 20.07.2002, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >first - I really don't know what I am talking about.
> >It seems that anything that uses gtk is really slow i.e. sylpheed
> >takes about 3-4 seconds to come up.On other installs that came up
> >with no delay at all.
> >At the same time mozilla and galeon are real slow to render some
> >sites. I got no idea whether this is related or; it's just the two
> >points I can't figure out.
> >Sometimes it take moz and galeon also a real long time to start.The
> >strange thing is that nothing seems to happen for about 15 secounds -
> >CPU does nothing at all.
> >I have libgtk2.05-2 installed - was libgtk2.0.0 no difference.

Thank you for your reply,
there is what I already did to solve this thing.

> Hmm, most apps (esp. those in woody) use libgtk1.2. (install
> deborphan and type 'deborphan libgtk1.2 libgtk2.0-0' or whatever to
> find out).

 I got rid of gtk2 to see if that would make a difference - no luck.

> Probably it's not gtk+ that's slow but the X server, but that's just a
> guess.

Did have X3 in there and do have X4.1 now - same thing.

> Some ideas: upgrade everything to woody? Try another X server driver.
> Upgrade X to 4.2 (i think it's at
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/sid/ ).

I am in woody with some sid thrown in.

 Try 'hdparm -u1 -k1'.

I get 26 mb/sec it doesn't get any better than that with my hardware.

 Look
> at 'free' to see if you're out of swap space. Upgrade the kernel to
> something newer like about 2.4.18 or later if you're using 2.4.

I went from 2.2.19 to 2.4.18 with debiankernels and compiled the latest
2.4.18 myself,too (no modules).No change.
I have the latest drivers for my card (SIS) in the kernel and in X those
are not even included in the stock kernel or X yet.
Swap is ok with 130mb free.

Klaus