Re: naming schemes (was Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 released)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 05:56:48PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 11:44:59PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> | also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [2002.07.21.2043 +0200]:
> | > Greece is a large town with Lake Ontario on the north and Rochester on
> | > the east (in western NY).
> |
> | No. Greece is a country.
>
> That too.  (hence my explanation)
>
> | Someone may, at one point, have used that name to baptise a city,
> | but guess which was there first... ;^>
>
> Guess where the name for the city came from?  There's some
> relationship between the date the town was formed and some major event
> in the country (independence maybe?).  I don't remember exactly what
> though I was taught it in 4th grade.
>
> Also in western New York you can find Rome, Paris and Mexico (amongst
> others I'm sure).
>
> Of less interest to some of you, there's also both a county and a town
> named "Wyoming".  Not to mention other smaller towns with the same
> name as some in Illinois, and the triplicate of "Rochesters".

On a trip to Chicago last summer, (starting near Toronto, Ontario, not
the Toronto in South Dakota or Ohio), I passed Waterloo, London, Paris,
Stratford, Woodstock, Cambridge, and the city formerly (pre World War I)
known as Berlin, and this was still in Ontario. On the same page in the
mapbook as Chicago, I find Ottawa (not the one in Ontario), Morocco,
Ohio (not the state), New Berlin, New Buffalo, Ontario (not the
province), Holland, Sidney, Norway, Waterloo (not the one in Ontario),
and Three Rivers (interesting since in Quebec, you have Trois-Rivieres
(translated: Three Rivers)).

> If anyone from this region confuses you with names, don't be so
> surprised :-).

Well... just remember, Toronto's Meese didn't come from Moose Factory (a
town in Ontario), instead, they came from a moose factory.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com