Re: Can't locate modules

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 02:36:53PM -0700, ian wrote:
> I recently installed kernel 2.4.18 on my previously running potatoe (v2.6).
> Everything seemed fine, except that none of my modules will load.
> I keep getting an error with modprobe;
>
> modprobe: can't locate "the module"
>
> I noticed that my /lib/module/2.4.18/module.dep is empty, could this be a
> problem?

That is the problem. There seem to be some issues with running a 2.4
kernel in potato. I actually have a 2.4.19-rc1 kernel on dovetail
(running 2.2r4), and I have to manually copy in a good copy of
modules.dep into place during every bootup for modules to work (well,
that copy is now in my init scripts).

As you are running potato, you should probably upgrade to woody (which
handles 2.4 kernels properly), or use a 2.2 kernel. dovetail is only
using a 2.4 kernel because of a corrupted 2.2 kernel, no network to it,
I only have 2.4 source on hand, and it is awaiting upgrade to woody.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com