Mouse jerkyness

 Hi,
I'm running woody (well sarge now I guess) on a custom 2.4.18 and have a MS Optical 3 button USB mouse w/ mouse wheel. It works fine most of the time but when I do CPU or hard drive intensive things (like installing packages with Kpackage, copying files in konqueror) it moves very jerkily (like < 1 update per second). Why doesn't the mouse have real-time priority (or if it does, is there some way to make it move smoothly all the time)? USB support is compiled as a module BTW.

Thanks,
Leo