Gzip... install-info.... error???

G'Day,

Now that my server is upgrading I have been alerted to a new problem.

-- 8<---
Setting up gzip (1.3.2-3) ...
install-info(/usr/share/info/gzip.info.gz): no backup file /var/backups/infodir.bak available, giving up.
dpkg: error processing gzip (--configure):
 gzip
-- 8<---

I would assume that a file required by install-info is missing and even
its backup (/var/backups/infodir.bak) dosnt exist.

'dpkg -S install-info' returns dpkg
'dpkg -l dpkg' returns 1.10.3

installing dpkg again dosnt fix the problem, could someone please tell me
how to restore the file that install-info wants so that all is well again
on the server.

Thanks in advance,
--
                  \\\