Re: Sony net MD minidisk recorders

also sprach arthur_dent <arthur_dent@xtra.co.nz> [2002.07.21.0053 +0200]:
> Does anyone know if anywhere there is any way of communicating with one of
> the Sony net md recorders via linux...I'd guess not because of the proprietry
> ATRAC encoding..it's a shame to be forced into using windows for a few odds
> and sods only.

Back when I had my first MD player (like 9 years or so), this was
a topic of a physics paper I wrote, which caused me to take a simple
way out, precisely because of this problem. So I hooked it up to
record from a modem - digitally, of course - and was able to store
some 18 Mb on it, or so. Hey, and I even got a good grade on it.

kill ugly radio
                                                        -- frank zappa