Re: Distro usage stats

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 01:17:36AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
| On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 00:33, Paul Johnson wrote:

| I've consciously never wanted to send mail out except via my
| email client, so when I try to send out a bug report via
| reportbug, I get this error in my spool file almost immediately.
|
| > This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).
| >
| > A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
| > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
| > failed:
| >
| >   submit@bugs.debian.org
| >     SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
| >     host master.debian.org [65.125.64.135]: 550 rejected:
| >     cannot route to sender <me@rebel>

I see what is happening.  Your host name is "rebel" (see /etc/hosts)
and your user name is "me".  exim sends the mail out with an envelope
sender of "me@rebel".  That's not a valid address, and the server on
"master.debian.org" verifies that return addresses are valid before it
accepts the mail.

| I'll have to study exim, and presumably that will solve my
| reportbug and popularity-contest problems at the same time.

Indeed.  Put the line
    me: ron.l.johnson@cox.net
in /etc/email-addresses.

(that works because of the rewrite rule in your config)

-D

--
Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut!

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/