Re: Exim only delivering to /var/mail/apache

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 02:29, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:57:23PM +0800, Sam Williams wrote:
>
> | I've got a strange problem on a machine runing debian unstable - mail is
> | only being delivered to one user (apache). Mail to any other user,
> | including root disappears.. Exim is configured only to deliver mail for
> | the local machine and root is aliased to samw.
> |
> | Has anyone any idea why only one account is receiving mail?
>
> Post some log snippets.  Check all three of /var/log/exim/mainlog,
> /var/log/exim/rejectlog, /var/log/exim/paniclog.

Thanks for the pointers Derrick,

I only have mainlog, so I guess nothing is being rejected and there is
no panic... Looking at this log (I was looking at /var/log/mail and
/var/log/mail.err which are both empty), there is a difference between
the way exim is handling mail for the two users - it recognises apache
is local, but tries to use a procmail pipe for samw:

2002-07-18 19:39:06 17V9cg-0000fF-00 <= apache@samlap.cherish.spl
U=apache P=local S=419
2002-07-18 19:39:06 17V9cg-0000fF-00 => apache
<apache@samlap.cherish.spl> D=localuser T=local_delivery
2002-07-18 19:39:06 17V9cg-0000fF-00 Completed

vs.

2002-07-18 19:25:59 17V9Pz-0000ZO-00 <= samw@samlap.cherish.spl U=samw
P=local S=339
2002-07-18 19:25:59 17V9Pz-0000ZO-00 => samw <samw@samlap.cherish.spl>
D=procmail T=procmail_pipe
2002-07-18 19:25:59 17V9Pz-0000ZO-00 Completed

How can I force local delivery for the samw account and why is it
treating them differently? They are both user accounts on the local
machine. I suppose I have to setup procmail too :)

> They'll have the answer for why the mail wasn't delivered.  Also run
> 'mailq' (as root) and you'll find the "missing" messages.  (messages
> don't just disappear, they go somewhere.  Always.)

Hmm, mailq turns up nothing, but I bet they are in procmail somewhere.

I've never looked at the workings of a mail delivery agent before and
it's more complex than I imagined. Ultimately I'm trying to set up a
maildir on my server that I can connect to from any of the machines on
the local network - I've had a look at qmail / courierIMAP and it looks
very complex. Any suggestions for a simple setup?

> <snip>
>
> Please read this
>     http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

Sorry, posting from my work account.Should have noticed that. End of a
long day. Expect I'll get lots of spam now that email address is in the
public domain :-(.