Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 10:31, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:25:32PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > Except that there's no reason the install should be so difficult (I
> > suspect that Debian users _like_ it that way to keep the riff-raff
> > out).
>
> Oh, rubbish. It's just a difficult problem to get right, that's all, and
> because it's only needed once it doesn't happen to interest a lot of
> developers.

Exactly.  Mandrake/RH/SuSE have got it right only because RPM-
based distros have to be re-installed for each major upgrade
(shades of Redmond).

dpkg/apt-get just happens to drop "really easy installation"
way down on the priority list of otherwise busy volunteers.

HOWEVER, I've heard really good things about how easy it is to
install http://www.libranet.com, which is Debian-based.  Can
that distro use stock packages from Debian mirrors, or do you
need to use Libranet-customized packages?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |