Re: Diskless server and single user mode

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:30:00AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 11:20, Balazs Javor wrote:

>> >How far will the "hidden" server be from your "regular" machine?
>> >In the same room?
>> >
>> >--
>>
>> Yes. About 5-6 meters away. Allthough there will be a Win2K machine even
>> closer.
>
>I'm pretty sure that that's well within the RS-232 distance spec.

Hi,

OK. I've read (most of) the remote serial login howto, and it
seems this is what I need.

Unfortunately the howto tends to focus on dialing in from a modem,
and doesn't go into too much detail regarding single user mode or
using terminal emulation software in cunjunction with a nullmodem cable.
(Or I might have missed it, as I'm pretty new to the subject.)

Anyway, my main concern is still to be able to monitor bootup
messages and occasions where fsck might drop me to single user console...

So the main question is, if I configure the console to be on the serial line
will the output be directly available to an terminal software on the Win2K
machine connected to the Linux box through a nullmodem cable?
Since during bootup no getty or anything is running that could allow a "login".
(Sorry if I ask stupid questions, but I know nothing about serial terminals.)
If yes, is there anything special I need to do on the other side?
(I'll be probably using Win2K as my wife's machine will be much closer to where
I indend to keep the screenless server. But if necessary I could cable it to my
other Woody box, allthough this would involve some ugly cables to run accross
the room.)

Many thanks again!
brgds,
Balazs