Re: keyboard customizations

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 11:48 am, Vineet Kumar wrote:

[snip]

> > 	To date "I" have never customized a keyboard for specific uses/users.
> > Although I KNOW that my O/S if very capable of it. So, MY question is,
> > how do I specify a Dvorak keyboard, and then edit the keylist below that.
> >
> > 1.	switch to DV2
>
> Others have mentioned X, but nobody has yet pointed out that the console
> can be reconfigured with:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure console-common
>
> You can select from a (huge) number of keymaps. Among them are the
> dvorak layouts (2-handed, left-only, and right-only).
>
> > 2.	customize specific keys for specific tasks.
>
> This can be done on the console easily as well. loadkeys is the tool.
> (It's part of the console-tools package). You can create your own
> keymaps with something like this:
>
> keycode 88 = F12
> string F12 = "emacs "
>
> (Example taken from the keyboard and console howto.)
>
> Again, there's no universal "save all" command, but using this, he can
> map keys to the commands in his favorite editor.

	As others have noted, no, this isn't a universal. But this client will
likely stay using SO 5.2 (too many of his novels/books have been written on
it to see him change [look for an interview in ./ later]) so we'll likely be
using the "NumberPad ENTER key" for within SO 5.2. :--)  Does that help
alieviate any of the confusion?

> good times,
> Vineet

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930