Re: K7S5a & md driver, Debian 2.2R6 problems

On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 14:49, csj wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:50:12 -0400
> lketter <lketter@config.com> wrote:
>
> >     Have a K7S5A that is locking on the  CDROM boot of disk 1.  It
> >  locks after the floppy detect when it starts to load the md driver
> >  (version 0.36.6 ).  The DDR chip is the CE POWMEM 512MB 266MHZ, 184
> >  pin.... It keeps locking constistantly at this point.... Do you have
> >  any suggestions?
>
> Since you asked for a suggestion and not a(n outright) solution, here
> goes. Is this an ECS board? Get a kernel with SIS chipset support
> enabled. You probably can't do this with the installer you now have. You
> might need to build a custom one using your other computer.
>
> > I have been using Debian since the MAY 25,2000 Beta & have never
> > seen a problem quite like this before....
>
> <FUD> Yes, the SIS-based boards are quite amazing. </FUD>

My wife's PC has been using the same model board (don't know what rev),
but with a 512MB SDRAM chip for 4 months with no problems.  Used the
idepci kernel to install with, and now run a custom 2.4.17 kernel.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |