Re: HDD vs. RAID (was Re: Lilo Q)

Dave Sherohman wrote:
[snip]

Any sort of true hardware RAID setup (beware the hybrids, since this
doesn't apply to them) will interact with the rest of the system as a
single device.  The question of whether to put the individual drives
on separate controllers or not doesn't apply, since the drives
connect to the RAID controller and the RAID controller attaches to
the SCSI (or IDE, I suppose, though I've never seen an IDE hardware
RAID controller) bus as a single device.  Even the BIOS thinks it's
just one disk.

yup, there IDE RAID controllers out there. Whether they help speed or not I don't know. I am actually running one that does only RAID 1 for redundancy for my firewall. Cannot
afford to have that go down. :-)

Robert