Problem with XFree86 under sid

I've been running Debian sid on a single processor 600 MHz Athlon machine for a while, and have been doing dist-upgrades nightly. I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.4.18 (though this has nothing to do with the problem).

I physically moved my computer to a different location, and began to experience problems with my keyboard and mouse under X. Either xf86cfg or going into X would freeze the keyboard and mouse, which would become completely unresponsive. SSH'ing into the machine worked, but no matter what I couldn't free the display, which showed the XFree86 grey background and X mouse cursor.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
(jeff@ourexchange.net)