Re: Verifying file permissions

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:26:44PM -0700, craigw wrote:
> On Fri Apr 19, 2002 at 10:54:26PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> > begin  Andy Saxena quotation:
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there is any way to verify the file permissions on
> > > the files installed by debian packages.
> >
> > Depends; what do you mean by "verify"?
> >
> This is an interesting question, and I have an idea of what Andy's
> getting at; I hope to learn from some good answers.
>
> When I install a new system, one of the first things I do is:
> ls -lR / > original_filesystem.txt
>
> This habit got its start from one time when I really hosed some of the
> permissions, and several things quit working.
>
> CraigW

Shawn,

I guess I should've included a few more details.

Basically, Craig got it right, and I am guessing his past experience had
something to do with this :-}. If the file permissions get screwed up on
a Debian system, is it possible to analyze/correct them?

What do you do if the system is hosed?

-Andy