Re: why use sendmail?

John Lord wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> Just a simple question realy, why should I use sendmail in conjunction with
> KMail, rather than let KMail do the job?

It depends on you situation

If you are running a standalone box with dialup connection and you get your
mail through your ISP, I would just let KMail handle remote mail for you. Put
simply, it's a lot less hassle. Just configure exim to do local mail delivery
for the benefit of cron and friends. This will save you a lot of time and
confusion.  You might want to read Linux Gazette #65 : A Private Home Network
for some interesting security insights.

If on the other hand you have a permanent connection and/or networked
machines, there are advantages to doing things the traditional unix way.

Apologies in advance to any unix diehards who consider this heresy :-)

Simon Hepburn.