From: Jeff [mailto:jcoppock1@attbi.com]
Sent: domingo, 31 de marzo de 2002 13:40
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Sound Problem

black.fish@web.de, 2002-Mar-30 12:34 +0100:
> Hi! I hope you can help me. I've Debian Woody running on my pc and a
soundblaster 16 in it, but I can't use it. When I try to play music
using play, cdplay, mpg123 or any other program an error message like
"Device dsp not found" occurs. I tried to configure the card with
sndconfig. sndconfig finds the card but when it tries to test it there's
the same error message. My pc ist a Pentium 75 Mhz with 64 MB RAM but I
don't think that the hardware is the problem because about 2 weeks ago
the sound worked under Red Hat 7.1. Please help me! I don't know what to
do!

> black.fish

So, does that device file exist?  It's possible that /dev/dsp(0)
has not been created.  I don't know how to create the individual
sound-related device files, off-hand.  I use the script that
comes with the ALSA drivers source called 'snddevices.in' which
creates all the device files and links needed for sound.

Also, please set your email editor to wrap to around 72 characters
width.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer