Re: Debian optimized for Pentium-class CPUs?

on Fri, Mar 29, 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shalehperry@attbi.com) wrote:

> On 29-Mar-2002 Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> > Not that Woody is slow on my new 900MHz Celeron, 512MB PC, but I was
> > wondering to what CPU target the precompiled distro was configured?
> > Would I see a significant difference if I tried to recompile the
> > whole thing optimized for the Celeron (if that's possible)? Would
> > that be feasible? Should I only worry about the kernel and/or X to
> > get the most speed?
>
> As Colin points out, Debian has chosen not to do this because the
> gains for most apps are negligible (5% or so).  Things like mp3
> encoders/decoders and the like that are nearly 100% CPU are where the
> real benefit comes.  Recompiling glibc and X may help a little.  Both
> are monster apps that expect huge amounts of disk and memory to
> compile though.

I'll note that (from an office conversation, so consider it hearsay),
RH's optimizations are restricted to the kernel and glibc.  The
cost/reward on anything else is largely prohibitive.  Adding XFree86 to
the mix would probably be a win though.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.