Re: why use sendmail?

Lo, on Saturday, March 30, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry did write:

> On 30-Mar-2002 John Lord wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Just a simple question realy, why should I use sendmail in
> > conjunction with KMail, rather than let KMail do the job?
> >
> > I'm sorry but I can't see the reason why, but there probably is
> > one. I have sat reading the various files about setting it up, but
> > have drawn a blank.  Having a bit of a confusing time atm ;-)

Sorry; missed the OP.

Let me make sure I understand the question: you're trying to choose
between two options.

1) Have your MUA (KMail) send outgoing mail directly to your ISP's mail
   relay.

2) Run an MTA like sendmail locally, have it relay outgoing mail up to
   your ISP, and configure the MUA to route outgoing mail through the
   local MTA.

Right?

> what if you want to send mail from something else?  for instance the console
> program 'reportbug' which helps you submit proper bug reports.

That's one reason for option #2, sure.

Another one: if, for whatever reason, the connection between you and
your ISP is unavailable for a while, a locally-running MTA will
automatically queue outgoing mail until delivery becomes possible
again.  No user action necessary.

Richard