X window system

I have installed Potato 2.2r4 on a third box and am
having difficulty in getting X to work.The mobo and
cpu were running Potato on an upgraded box, and the
harddisk held Slink for a long time.Kernel is 2.2.19,
and xfree-common etc packages are v.3.3.6-11.

Normally, Debian gets X to go OK after I run
'xf86config'. This time it didn't and initially gave
problems with fonts about which I asked for and got
help. What happens now is:-

1. Booting is apparently normal but I get dumped into
a blank screen. Ctrl+Alt+Fx puts me into a console
and I can use the system normally except that during
the first two or three commandline instructions I
get the error message:-
        'probable hardware bug:clock timer configuration
         lost - probably a VIA686a.
         restoring chip configuration'

2. If I then run 'startx', I'm told:-
        'server is already active for display 0
         Xlib - connection to ":0.0" refused by server
         Xlib - Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE etc
         xinit - unable to connect etc, no such process
         (errno3) etc'
I expect this for I understand that display is the
default, but which program sets it.

Comparing 'printenv' with my other two boxes,
'DISPLAY=:0.0' and 'KDE_DISPLAY=:0.0' are missing
and my attempts to set these by hand fail - they
disappear on reboot.

4. If I try to run 'XF86Setup', I fail - error:-
'X11TransSocketUNIXconnect - can't connect: error111.

I should have got to grips with X window system when
I first started, didn't do so and now find the docs
confuse me (most are not Debian specific).

Is the above sufficient to enable a diagnosis of the
problem to be made? Could someone give me a short
rundown on the basics as they relate to Debian.

I'd be very grateful for help. I have two other boxes
runnin 2.2.r4, but I cannot trace any files missing
which could account for my problem.

john.