Re: Can't download pppoeconf - was ( Woody installation problem)

After filing a bug on this problem #140540 I've received some helpful info from Eduard Bloch and the bug has been closed (there wasn't a bug with the boot floppies package, it seems it was with the CD's)

The problem seems to be the basedebs file on the CD is incorrect. Supposedly you can download a newer version of the basdebs file and use this (I'm not sure how) or you can just do a clean install from the network (do not use the CD's at all, as this will read the broken basedebs file and then even the network install will fail).

The only thing I do no understand yet is why the CD's worked fine in a system that booted from them, but failed when using the boot floopies on some older systems that lacked bootable CD capability.

Now on to making some working systems (actually my laptop power supply seems to have died, and it was the laptop that started all this).

Matt