Re: kcalc math bug?

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 21:56:58 -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Well, let's see. I have two cheap calculators right here, one a nearly
> 20-year old Casio FX-115 scientific calculator, and the other a fairly
> new Texas Instruments TI-1795SV (four-function with memory). Both are
> infix, not RPN.
>
> Casio: 1+2*3=7
> TI:    1+2*3=9
>
> I suspect that "scientific" vs. "four-function" is the distinction here.

No, I've already seen 4-operation calculators that followed the
precedence rules.

> The scientific calculator has parenthesis buttons to facilitate entering
> complex expressions, while the four-function does not.

In fact, you don't need parentheses for sumple expressions like the
above one:

1+2*3= gives 7
1+2=*3= gives 9

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International