Re: Upgraded to woody and printing from KDE stopped

   I am trying to get printing services to work under woody.  I've
installed LPRng and apsfilter.

   An earlier error message indicated that (at least) the printcap file
had an error.

> >   Based upon the kind advice of Steffen E., I installed apsfilter (and
> > associated packages).   The Test Page prints from apsfilterconfig just
> > great.

   <snip of previous troubleshooting>

>  Additionly, there seems to be somthiung wrong with the printername:
> > hl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost

> It should be 'hl1240' only! Are you sure, you are using current woody
> packages? I remember having this problem earlier. If you are sure, your
> problems are not fixed in current woody packages report about the
> problem on debian-kde list. They will know more about KDE cups as well.

   Yes, I am using woody as of about an hour ago.

   I went and reran /usr/share/apsconfigure/SETUP, and am now using the
hl1250 driver.  The test page printed *beautifully*, but I still got an
error message when printing.

    I then manually editted  /etc/printcap, changing the semi-colon ( ; )
after hl1250 to a colon ( : ).   That fixed one error message.  The error
message now reads:

------------------
   <snip>
Status Information:  sending job 'family@localhost+680' to
lp|hl1250@localhost  connecting to 'localhost',attempt 1 connected to
'localhost' requesting printer lp|hl1250@localhost  job
'family @localhost+680' transfer to lp|hl1250@localhost failed error
"NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL'
sending str '^Blp|hl1250 to lp|hl1250@localhost  error msg: 'spool queue
for 'lp_hl1250 does not exist on server localhost' error msg:
'non-existent printer or you need to run 'checkpc -f''

   I ran checkpc -f; it gave no response.

   So...I think I'm making progress, but haven't gotten there yet!   Do I
need to do something special to set up a spool queue?

> Anyway, your printer system should be set up correctly now. Try to print
> something using lpr directly on a postscript file or a2ps.

   I did a   $ lpr printtest.ps

--and it printed all but the first line!  (Albeit in the wrong font!)

> Make sure you have set the papersize correctly in /etc/papersize and
> /etc/a2ps.cfg (or something similar).

   Done:  set for letter.

   Thanks again, Steffen.  I appreciate the help you've given.  Any other
ideas?

   James