Can't get DHCP working with potato on new box.

I've been running sid for the past couple of years with no hitch.

I just bought a new machine last week.  I connect to the internet via AT&T
cable which uses dhcp (and in my area, it is DEFINITELY dynamic, no futzing
around with the lets-pretend-its-static kludge is possible here).  My problem
is that my eth0 has gone completely deaf.  Well, not completely deaf.  It's
able to hear outgoing requests to the dhcp server, but I'm not hearing any arp
requests or anything.

When I boot into WinXP (all flames to /dev/null), I am able to connect to the
internet just fine, so I know that my MAC is registered with AT&T.  And I even
installed RH7.2 and again it was able to connect.

A friend of mine has suggested that this is a kernel/driver issue, so I updated
the kernel (via dpkg, and yes, I got all of the dependencies as well) and this
eth0 could hear arp-requests, but still not connect to the internet.

I tried updating the kernel from source, but I was really sleepy and put in
some bad config options and came up with a breaky kernel. :(  I'll try again
tonight.

I also tried installing via a sid netinst CD, but I had the same problem, no
internet connection (didn't have tcpdump available at that time, so I don't
know if eth0 was hearing anything or not).

Right now I'm considering installing LibraNet and trying to get Debian trough
the "back door".  Any comments on that?  I'm not convinced this will help my
problem, though.

Here are the system particulars:
	CPU:	Athlon XP 1700
	mobo:	MSI K7T266 PRO2 Socket A DDR
	RAM:	256 DDR
	eth0: 	uses 'tulip' driver
	distro:	potato (r5) (2.2r5)

Thanks for helping.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   ||  NO ATTACHMENTS
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL       ||  NO STATIONERY
 / \  AND POSTINGS            ||  NO GRAPHICS