Maybe OT Freedraft install problem or what is a CAD system

Hi im looking for a CAD system (technical) for our company.
Since im not willing to pay money (lots of money) for a monopolistic product
like Autocad i am testing a few open source and cheap alternatives.
Now VariCad looks pretty good but it still costs ~300$.
So there is Varkon (looks professional but the interface is rather uncommon
and our designers are used to interfaces like Autocad).
Now i am trying to compile Freedraft, while running ./configure it spits out

-snip-

checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking motif... no
checking athena3D... no
checking athena... no
configure: error: I can't even find Athena! There may be problems with your X
installation.

-snip-

Does anyone have a clue about this? Im not so experienced in building from
sources so if anyone knows what is the problem pls tell me or if anyone knows
another good alternative to Autocad ill be trying it.
Thanx
Florian

ps: running sid here