Yamaha CDR not working

Hello,

I have been trying to get a Yamaha CDR drive working using kernel 2.2.18
in a 2.2 version of Potato.  I added SCSI support in the kernel, it comes
up as recognised.  I also put the append statement in lilo (I don't use a
modular kernel).  I have had the drive working before, but reinstalled
Debian on it.  I tried the link statement for the CD-Writer HOWTO:

cd /dev/ && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom

When I try to mount the cd rom the following error results:

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Can anyone help?

PS please send correspondonce to my address because for some reason I
cannot subscribe to this list.  After sendiing a confirmation e mail
nothing comes back.

Thanks in advance....

JKA