Re: Openssh protocol 2 for potato < - rather urgent help needed

<quote who="John F">
> Hi all!
>
> Has anyone any idea where I can find debs for potato for Recent versions
> of OpenSSH? I need non-broken protocol 2 but still be able to support
> protocol 1.
>
> Building OpenSSH3.1p1  from source requires an upgrade of OpenSSL. If I
> replace the OpenSSL in Potato with version 0.9.6c (from openssl.org)v
> will it break stuff using the version in Potato?
>
> This is rather urgent, I've ppl screaming at me.....

yes it will break things that use OpenSSL. I attempted this one
when building sendmail 8.12.1 on potato with TLS. which required
me to recompile openssl.  many things including apache-ssl and
sslwrap I believe stopped working(undefined symbol)

If you don't have other packages that use openssl (try removing
the package to see what depends on it ..) then you shouldn't
have much trouble.

If you really need openssh 3 then I reccomend just compiling it
from source and installing it in /usr/local/openssh

Out of the 25 or so linux boxes I run, I think only 1 of them
is not using SSH1, it is using commercial SSH3 because it offers
the ChrootUsers, ChrootGroups and AllowUsers directives to lock
down the system.

I wish SSH 2 supported RSA keys, everything ive seen says it
doesn't work with SSH1 RSA keys:( on my secure systems I
turn password authentication off and force people to authenticate
via RSA keys.

nate