Re: OT: Is .RTF an Open Standard?

Lo, on Wednesday, March 27, Kent West did write:

>   .PDF and postscript are great display formats, but they're not very
> useful for actual editting. Besides, do most Windows apps (Word,
> WordPerfect) allow saving to this format?

Not saving as such, but it is possible to convert a Word document to
postscript (and then on to PDF through ps2pdf or something similar).
Install a new printer, attached to the local machine, on port FILE:
(instead of LPT1:), and select a driver for a postscript printer.  I
usually use something like one of the HP LaserJets for this.  You may
need to tweak the driver's options for maximum PS compatibility.  Then,
open your app, print to this printer, type in the filename, and there
you are.

It is, however, a one-way translation; I don't know of any programs
that allow you to open a PS file and edit it.

This is probably much more complicated than your users will want to deal
with, but I find it a useful trick from time to time.

Richard