Linux PDC (was Re: Domains/trusts)

Here's a follow up question to my original question (see: Domain/trusts).

Actually I want to eventually make a Linux server take on the role of the PDC. However, our current PDC is a Windows SBS. It seems that I recall that an SBS (small business server) can only be a PDC: i.e., you can't demote it to a BDC. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Maybe somebody knows the answer to that off their head?

But here's one question I have concerning MS licensing. I remember asking MS once about licensing for servers. Their reply was something like this: if the server has to authenticate a user for access to resources on said server, then said user must have a CAL. But what if a SAMBA server was doing the authenticating? Does that get me out of having to buy a CAL? Anybody know?

Finally, to Marcin:
So what if I make my linux server the PDC and employ ldap? How will this help in setting up a WAN?