Re: OT Any web site that teaches how to make LAN cable connection

> There's straight-thru and crossover - for crossover, they should be
> reversed. If the original is BLUE-RED-GOLD then the matching one
> should be GOLD-RED-BLUE (example is for explanatory purposes only).
> Straight-thru is literally that ; the wire on both ends should look the
> *exact* same through the RJ-45.
>
> Straight-Thru:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8                          1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
>    (bottom)                                 (bottom)
>
> Cross Over:
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8                          8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
>   (bottom)                                  (bottom)
>
> Elizabeth

Please don't follow either of these wiring diagrams.

It's very important that pin 3/5(or 4/6, depending on how you look at it)
are swapped on both ends.

You want: (T-568A)

White/green, green, white/orange, blue, white/blue, orange, white/brown,
brown

Sometimes you'll see (T-568B, preferrred for new installations)

White/Orange, Orange, White/Green, Blue, White/Blue, Green, White/Brown,
Brown.

Both will work the same.

For crossover:

Do above, one side the orange/blue/green/brown setup, and the other side
the green/blue/orange/brown setup.

If you don't swap the 3/5(4/6) pins, your cable will might work, but
you'll get massive crosstalk, especially over distance or in an
electrically noisy environment.

Please see:

http://www.escape.ca/~droopy/ethernetcables.html
http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

Also, see:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.processs?IWAction=Load&Merchant_ID=&Section_Id=522
http://www.startech.com/cable/networking.htm

Because that's a LOT easier and more reliable way to do it!  If you
are making your own cables, proper cable testers cost far too much money.
I make do with an old Fluke 620, but it isn't rated for 100mbit or
gigabit.

Hope this helps,
Mike Dresser