Re: samba and netbios question???

axacheng wrote:
Hello List :
i have a serious problem about samba authentication!!!

Samba Server domain name is "ftp.sg.s1" in intranet DNS
Samba Share Folder name is "DDT-1"

I have a share folder named "DDT-1", which needs legal account to access! But, it appears to have some error in the authentication with Samba!
When our client attempt to connect to Samba server(\\debian100\DDT-1) and clicked on the share folder(DDT-1), an authentication window appears, but proper authentication cannot be performed. Even legal accounts cannot log in!!!

However, if our client attemp to connect to Samba server using (\\ftp.sg.s1\DDT-1) and clicked on the share folder(DDT-1), the client can then login without problem.

WHY?????

i think ,the samba config file (smb.conf) DIDN'T know where DDT-1 server
in our intranet!!! !!!!!so that i modify my smb.conf as follow:

################################
###Global parameters
################################
[global]
        coding system = 950
        client code page = 950
        workgroup = DEBIAN
        netbios name = DEBIAN100
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 2
        kernel oplocks = No
       wins support = yes

[DDT-1]
        comment = Home Directories
        netbios name = debian100
        guest account = ftp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700

I'm not that Samba-literate, but it looks to me like when they connect to \\ftp.sg.s1\DDT-1 the username being fed to the server is probably the standard alias for "anonymous", which is "ftp". You have that defined ad the user for the guest account. Thus your users are connecting as guests.

My guess is that you failed to create the smbpassword list. This is a separate authentication mechanism in addition to the normal Linux authentication. If you have a Linux user named axacheng, you'll need to run "smbpasswd -a axacheng" to add a new user to the Samba authentication mechanism with the name "axacheng". Then from Windows, axacheng can map a drive to his home directory using this username and whatever password you gave in the above step.

HTH

Kent