Re: OT: Is .RTF an Open Standard?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 11:23:40AM -0600, Paul F. Pearson wrote:

> Postscript is a good standard for distributing documents (not writing in
> them). PDF is becoming a standard of sorts. I think it's proprietary, but
> well defined and "open for use." Many good tools exist on most major OSes
> to produce PDF.
>
> You won't want to edit in postscript or PDF, but will want to produe it
> from another format (e.g. Word, StarOffice, etc.).

Both PostScript [tm] and Portable Document Format [tm] are published
proprietary formats of Adobe (Aldus).  Adobe provides extensive
documentation on these formats but neither is well suited for document
authoring purposes.  Adobe has a vested interest in seeing the
widespread use of these formats, and therefore promotes their adoption
among third party developers.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>