Re: L 80 80 80 80, etc. on boot

Martin Edward John Waller wrote:
> I've done a potato install but can't boot from the
> hard disk (have the floppy boot working OK tho').
>
> I get the above message (L 80 80 80 continuosly).
>
> Is there a way to fix this?  I installed lilo
> diecrtly onto the mbr.

Does the information in /etc/lilo.conf match your system? What do you
get when you run lilo?

>From /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:
L  <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and
started, but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit
error codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
[...]
Disk error codes
[...]
0x80   "Disk timeout". The disk or the drive isn't ready. Either the
media is bad or the disk isn't spinning. If you're booting from a
floppy, you might not have closed the drive door. Otherwise, trying to
boot again might help.

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com