Re: Matrox G400 problem with Woody and X

On 24 Mar 2002, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:

> I have just installed Woody from the network install CDROMs.
>
> When I try to start X, I am told the mga_hal module can not be found.
>
> Is this an X configuration problem, compilation problem, or a kernel
> problem?

Dear Randolph,

Your message is not clear as regards whether you can start up the X server
or not. I will assume the latter. I ran into problems myself with the G400
with the 2.2.19pre17 kernel. I think the error message in question is
misleading, as the real problem is elsewhere, possibly with the dri
module. The mga_hal message corresponds to the absence of a proprietary
module from Matrox, and that should not stop your server from starting.
Try commenting out the line in the modules section in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 which corresponds to dri, and then hopefully your
server will start up.

I think that there is a problem with DRI support with 2.2 kernels, though
I'm not sure of details. See http://dri.sourceforge.net

                                                       Faheem.