Re: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 20:26, Dave Steinberg wrote:
> In that case, get ready to start making a lot of trips to the record
> store.

That assumes that I have the money to buy lots of CDs, and anyway I
don't really see Naxos getting into this game.

> According to the site, "...key2audio does not introduce artificial
> (C2) errors into the music, thereby preserving the title's original sound
> quality...A hidden signature applied to the disc during glass master
> manufacturing prevents playback on PC/MAC and thereby prevents copying or
> track ripping.  The high reliability is due to the fact that the audio
> part fully complies with the Red Book standard - not a single bit is
> changed in the audio data stream - i.e.: no uncorrectable errors are used
> to protect the audio data."

If it has a good audio data stream, I should have thought it must be
capable of being read somehow.

> Apparently, the discs are clearly labeled along the lines of "This CD
> does not play on PC/MAC."
>
> If the claims of Red Book compliance are true, and the CD's are clearly
> labelled as not playing on PC's, how can we justify returning them?

You couldn't, if the shop made it clear to you.  If you told them
beforehand that you wanted it to play on your PC, you could return it.

     "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed
      within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise
      Him, my Saviour and my God."       Psalm 42:11